Day 255 – September 11, 2016 – Sunday
• A beautiful, comfortable, Fall-like day. Sunny with temperatures in the mid 70s and low humidity.
Temperature – from my weather station, in degrees Fahrenheit (F) and/or Celsius (C)
• High: 76.6 F (3:07 pm)
• Low : 60.2 F (7:39 am)
Temperature – official from TV or Weather Underground, in degrees Fahrenheit
• Low :
• didn’t get to do much observing
• caterpillars – the 3 black swallowtail caterpillars on the parsley – they have almost finished the parsley growing in the pot and I don’t think they’ve eaten any of what we added from the store
• silver-spotted skipper
• cabbage white
• monarch – large one
• cardinals – male, female
• grasshopper – photos
• fireflies – I saw one or two flashes
Grasshopper on seed head of a Cone Flower (Echinacea)
October 10, 2010
Ash Tree showing fall colors
- High: 83.3 F (4:21 PM)
- Low: 58.1 F (8:02 AM)
- Humidity: 39%, 38%
- Sunny, nice, warm.
- Black-capped Chickadee (1)
- Cardinals (too dark to see how many or which ones)
- Crow(s) (didn’t see them, but heard them)
- Silver-spotted Skipper (1) – on patio side of house
- Cabbage Whites (2 or 3) – 2 on Aster, 1 on patio side of house
- Sulphur (1) – on Aster
- Tinies (2) – on Aster
- Bees (lots of bees on the Aster)
- Ash Tree – Has turned color and has lost quite a few leaves. The colors may not be quite as bright as some years because it has been (and still is) so dry. Photo (see below).
- Boneset - See Yardwork below
Yardwork: Spread some grass seed on parts of the lawn. Spread some organic fertilizer on parts of the lawn. Then I used the leaf blower on reverse to vacuum up and turn the leaves into mulch. And then I pulled up a bunch of Boneset plants from my photo bed – they are coming up all over the place!
October 1, 2010
- High: 68.5 F (3:39 PM)
- Low: 53.7 F (7:59 AM)
- Today was cooler than yesterday, sunny, and beautiful.
- Blue Jay (1 for sure, but I think there were 2) – It/they made an awful screech (like a hawk). I’m not sure I’ve seen any Blue Jays here before, but I have a vague impression that maybe I did years ago (if so they were rare even then).
- Black-capped Chickadees (2)
- Cardinals (the parents and their young)
Yardwork: I cut back part of one of the bigger Butterfly Bushes in the corner bed so that the Buttonbush would get more light. The Buttonbush is growing, but it was somewhat overgrown by the Butterfly Bush and needed more light and more space to grow.
September 9, 2010
Weather: High 74.1, Low 55.0, Humidity 40%. Beautiful sunny blue skies with a few wispy clouds.
Birds: I did not see any Hummingbirds today. I think they have gone south for the winter.
Butterflies – Noticeably fewer butterflies today. The ones I did see were:
- Silver-Spotted Skippers
- Red-spotted Purple
- Cabbage White (this is the first time in a long time that there has only been one, in fact there have been quite a few for a while)