• Cloudy. Snow. At times it was snowing heavily with large flakes and no wind – it was beautiful when it was like that.
• 2 or 3 inches of snow cover by evening
Temperature (in degrees Fahrenheit)
• 34 about 10:20 am, 24 about 4:15 pm (my observations, mercury thermometer)
• 30 and (official from TV or Weather Underground)
• 16 was the morning low
• the low for the day was tonight
• 100% at 10:45 or 11 am according to the computer weather applet
• at least 2 inches of snow
• didn’t do much observing
• cardinal – male, female
• downy woodpecker – female (or hairy? – I think they are downy)
• red-bellied woodpecker
cloudy, temperatures dropping
rain – 1/4 inch in the early am and more starting about 3 pm
snow all gone
Temperatures (Official) (Fahrenheit, from TV or Weather Underground)
65 and 33
the high was in the early am last night and the low was tonight before midnight
Temperatures Observed (Fahrenheit, my observations, mercury thermometer)
56 around 5 pm
7/8ths of an inch of rain
cardinal – male
Low: 60.8 (7:53 am) High: 81.8 (3:39 pm) Precipitation: None
Humidity: 64% at 12:15 pm, 52% at 4:30 pm (80 F), upper 40s in the evening around 7 and 8 pm with the temp around 77 F
The last day of winter, but it feels like summer. Mostly cloudy with some blue sky and quite a bit of sun, then becoming mostly clear and sunny later in the afternoon. Everything seems to be growing – getting buds, leafing out, coming up. There is a noticeable difference everyday when I look out into the yard.
I refilled the Upside Down Thistle Feeder, which was empty.
- Cardinal – male, female
- Black-capped Chickadee
October 22, 2010
- High: 61.5 F (4:54 PM)
- Low: 37.7 F (7:41 AM)
- Humidity: 43%, 36%
- Beautiful, clear sunny blue skies. Possible first frost of the season. I was told there was frost on the roof. Don’t know if there was frost on the ground.
Birds, Butterflies, Animals: Too busy to observe much today
- Aster – looks like it has about finished blooming
- Joe Pye – looks like it has about finished blooming
October 20, 2010
- High: 65.8 F (3:30 PM)
- Low: 42.0 F (8:13 AM)
- Humidity: 39%
- More beautiful Fall weather; sunny, clear blue skies, and breezy.
Note: I’ve not been doing as much observing lately. Partly because I’ve had other things to do, but also because there isn’t as much to observe. The Hummingbirds are long gone, and the butterflies may be gone too (with a rare exception like today).
- Black-capped Chickadees (at least 3)
- Cardinals (the adult male and female)
- Unidentified (1) – As I drove into the driveway, late this afternoon, I saw what looked like a medium sized black, or dark, colored butterfly flying ahead of me up towards the house.
October 19, 2010
- High: 61.8 F (3:54 PM)
- Low: 43.8 F (8:04 AM)
- Humidity: 46%
- A beautiful, sunny, afternoon with scattered small clouds. Breezy.
Birds: [didn’t have much time for observing today]
- Black-capped Chickadees (2)
- Cardinals (young female, male)
Plants: [these are just what I happened to notice that are still blooming]
- Joe Pye (but fading fast)
- Verbena (a little)
October 18, 2010
- High: 66.2 F (1:47 PM)
- Low: 48.7 F (7:46 AM)
- Humidity: 49%
- Rain: A few showers this evening and tonight. Probably not more than a tenth or two of an inch.
- Cloudy with a little sun. About 6 PM it got breezy and colder and then came the rain showers.
Birds: [I wasn’t really watching today]
- Cardinals (2 or 3)
- Black-capped Chickadees (2)
Butterflies: [I wasn’t really watching today]
Yardwork: Raked some leaves.